Tuesday, November 02, 2010

I've paid my dues, time after time...

There was an interesting moment on Sunday night at my friend Sam's place. With the Giants a couple outs away from taking a commanding 3-1 lead in the World Series, there were a few of us that couldn't help looking at each other like "holy shit, this actually looks like it's gonna happen." The next night, with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th, the same group of 10 or so people stood on the couches and locked arms. This was it. Brian Wilson threw, Nelson Cruz swung and missed, and our dreams had come true. November 1, 2010, will always be one of the best nights of my life. I'm so glad I got to spend it with all of my best Giant fan friends (except for a couple, who for some horrific reason, live in LA). There were so many favorite moments from last night. Here they are, in chronological order:

- Renteria's home run. I could not get back from work to Sam's house until about 7:00 pm. With the two pitchers throwing gems, the game was moving right along. By the time I joined my friends, the 7th inning was well under way. I like to think I was partially responsible for what happened next. Not more than a couple minutes after I arrived, Edgar Renteria blasted a 3-run home run and earned every penny of his $18.5 million contract. In this staring contest of a pitcher's duel, you had the feeling that whoever blinked first would lose the game. And Cliff Lee blinked first. Euphoria erupted in the room as it did throughout the city. Screaming at the top of my lungs, I couldn't jump up and down as fast as I wanted to and found myself sort of running in place instead.

- The final out. Every year I watch on TV as Joe Buck calls the final out of the World Series. During the final at bat I commented on how crazy it was that it was the Giants who he was about to call it for. It happened, and pretty much immediately the tears came as I just tried to grab and hug whoever I could. We had waited our whole lives for that moment. It was beautifully overwhelming.

- Celebrating on the roof. After about 5 minutes of uncontrolled euphoria, we went up to Sam's roof for some champagne and a whole lot of yelling. It still hasn't fully hit me, but it was up there where it began to sink in, and the happiness snowballed. None of us could help but jump around. We talked about how much we, as Giants, had been through. We talked about how awesome this team was. One friend directed my attention to the stellar view of the Golden Gate bridge. And also how, on November 1st, we didn't even need a coat outside. And also how, of course, The Giants were the World Series Champions. San Francisco is the best city in the world, and it's not even that close.

- Walking down Polk St. on our way to the Civic Center. Running, jumping, skipping. "Floating" is probably the right word. This was exactly what you might imagine. Horns honking. Strangers high fiving. The party was starting.

- Getting down to the Civic Center, meeting up with my brother, and giving him a huge hug that lasted about a full minute.

- Getting doused in champagne within the gigantic crowd. My brother told me people were spraying champagne before I got there. When they started again, I said "I'm going in." It was the right call.

- The first round. This one might be actual favorite part of the night: At the first bar we went to, as the first round of shots was getting handed out, "We Are the Champions" by Queen came on. The timing was impeccable. As the entire crowd belted the chorus, I once again lost it emotionally. More hugs. More "We did it"s. More "I love you"s.

- And right after that, "California Love" (2pac and Dr. Dre) came on. Can't ask for more than that.

- The impromptu parade. Out of nowhere, hundreds of people came walking up the street, led by a small band with some horns and percussion. As the parade reached city hall, people, including myself, stormed the steps and just started dancing.

- 3rd and King. We made our way to the ballpark to get a glimpse of the craziness. The entire intersection was full of people dancing on cars, throwing toilet paper, and a few mini bon fires. It was just an unbelievable scene (as was the Civic Center). Everyone you passed gave a high five. There was every reason to be in the best mood of your life.

- Driving home. Since I had to work the next day, my night ended sober and earlier than most other people's. But I got to do my own share of horn honking. And listening to KNBR, host Marty Lurie said something about how baseball is a good friend that's always there for you, and I nearly broke down for a third time. Well said, sir.

Giants fans have been through a lot the past couple decades. The Earthquake in '89. Winning 103 games but missing the playoffs in '93. The magic of '97 getting swept away. Failing again in '00. 8 outs away from the title in '02 (the lowest of all lows). Jose Cruz Jr. dropping the fly ball in '03 (hence this blog's title). Now that we've reached the highest of all highs, I can talk about these things without wanting to stab myself.

I woke up this morning a more complete person. I haven't accomplished everything I want out of life, but this was a major, MAJOR check in the box. While driving to work, KNBR replayed the bottom of the ninth inning again. Listening to Duane Kuiper call the final out, and suggest that the Giants were celebrating for the fans back home, I got teary-eyed once more. I can't help it.

WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS.

Here are some pictures taken with my phone from the night. In reverse chronological order:









No comments: